Heads up! This blog post hasn't been updated in over 2 years. CodePen is an ever changing place, so if this post references features, you're probably better off checking the docs. Get in touch with support if you have further questions.
We've switched over to using Hashids for our URL slugs on CodePen. You might notice that the slugs you get when you save a Post or Pen are 6 characters long now instead of 5.
It's a neat system for us because:
- Our old system required plucking a new one off a database table. It was clever but this is cleaner and it's nice to not have to hit the db for one.
- The slugs still appear random. It's best this way, so it's not terribly easy to write a scraping script or something that just enumerates through content.
- It prevents swear words from randomly coming up.
- We can still make it letters only, which we think just looks nicer.
- We removed lowercase i's and l's from the slugs, just because they can be hard to differentiate quickly.
- It doesn't depend on anything but cool math
- It'll basically last us forever, or if not, we just move to 7 characters then it really will.