Week three of our September 2018 #CodePenChallenge starts now 🏎
Last week, the CodePen community found the fun in the 500 error. Check out our HTTP Status 500 collection to see the Pens from the challenge!
This Week's Status Code: 403 Forbidden
The word forbidden just doesn't come up in casual conversation very much. Pretty bold word. It works better in fantasy novels with the word forest or fortress after it.
In the land of HTTP response codes, it means a server that is putting up a wall for you, refusing to fulfill a request.
September's Challenge Sponsor: Jamf
This month we have Jamf as a sponsor. Jamf Now allows you to manage all the Apple devices in your company. For example, remotely configuring all the settings on all of your iPad, iPhone and Mac devices quickly and consistently.
Build a Pen that shows the page your server could respond with when it serves a 403 response.
How to Participate
Create a Pen → and tag it codepenchallenge and the weekly tag cpc-403. We'll gather those Pens into a collection and share our favorites on Twitter and Instagram (Use the #CodePenChallenge tag on Twitter and Instagram as well).
- It's a bit of a spicy response from a server, isn't it? The server is saying 'I totally understand what you're asking for... I'm just not going to give it to you.' What might you do with that from a design or UX perspective?
- Can you play up that word 'forbidden'? Locked gates? Prison bars? Wrong way road signs? What else screams that you aren't allowed here?
- What kind of color scheme would work with a forbidden page. Could you mute the colors of your existing theme? Warning reds? Dark and gloomy?
- The CodePen Editor has an assets panel that, among other things, allows you to search for photos from Unsplash. Check out a search for 'forbidden' there!
- Wikipedia digs into the nerdy details and specification around this status code.
- Getting a forbidden error could be directly from the permissions that are set on files and folders on your server. Learn about those in this post from Alycia Mitchell.