There are a few ways that a PRO account will downgrade to a free account.
Your PRO subscription will end if:
- You cancel the subscription from your billing settings.
- Payment for automatic subscription renewal fails three times. If you get a payment failure notice, you can update your payment information in your billing settings.
- You leave or are removed from a PRO Team.
- The temporary promotion you are on ends.
If you cancel your subscription, you’ll continue to have access to PRO features until your paid subscription period ends. For example, if you cancel 15 days before your subscription is set to renew, your account will stay PRO for those 15 days, then downgrade to a free account.
When your PRO subscription ends:
- You won’t be able to use the Privacy feature to create new private Pens, Projects, or Collections.
- You won’t be able to make private saves on existing content. After downgrading, if you edit and save something that was private, it will become public.
- You won’t be able to upload new Assets or save changes to existing assets.
- Your uploaded assets will remain on CodePen and will load in Pens and Projects, but won’t load on external websites.
- Editable embeds created from your Pens will no longer be editable.
- Your custom embed themes will be unavailable. Any Pens using those themes will revert to the default theme.
- Debug View for your Pens and Projects is restricted and will require login for access.
- You will not be able to use Live View to view your code updates on unlimited devices in real time.
- You will not be able to use Presentation Mode to display your Pens on large screens.
- You will not be able to host a Collab Mode session. You can still join collab mode sessions hosted by others, though.
- You will not be able to host a Professor Mode session. But, you can join a session as a student.
- Projects on your account will go into restricted mode. You can view them while logged into your account, but you won’t be able to edit them. Anyone else visiting the project will see a 404 page.
- Any deployed Projects will go offline.
- If your subscription began before 2017, your account will lose access to its legacy subscription rate when you cancel. You can resubscribe anytime, but the new subscription will use the current rate table when you start your new subscription. You’ll see the current rate at checkout.
- You lose that nifty little PRO badge next to your name.
- You can upgrade again at any time and everything will be back to normal.